With the installation of 360 solar panels along its straight line, the Jules Tacheny circuit continues its quest for modernity by taking care to reduce its carbon footprint. This substantial investment of €150,000 allows the Mettet circuit to assert itself as one of the most eco-responsible circuits on the planet, in the same way as the prestigious tracks of Mugello, Barcelona, Paul Ricard and Silverstone.
Recently, the circuit has been equipped with 7 FIA and FIM approved LED panels to allow better communication with the drivers on track. No less than one kilometre of cable was needed to make this installation possible.
Dirt Track being one of the most complete disciplines to learn motorcycling, the circuit had to build a track. Today, this unique track in Belgium is used for many training sessions for young riders. The 226m long and 15m wide track is perfect for learning to ride.
Michel Fievet Pavilion
Designed to be versatile, the pavilion can accommodate any type of organisation. It is also connected to the control tower to provide a complete infrastructure. On the first floor, a large room can accommodate many people and is connected to the cafeteria. On the ground floor, 5 fully modular boxes are available to circuit users.
Off-Road track development
As the circuit wants to diversify and offer various activities, an off-road track has been added between the corners of the circuit. It is now possible to have a rallycross and supermoto track in addition to the permanent circuit.
Following the creation of the permanent circuit, the track had to be equipped with a multi-service building. It was therefore only logical that the control tower was built in the newly paved paddock. The tower includes a medical station, sanitary facilities, a briefing room, a timing system, a cafeteria and a terrace with a view of the track.
A permanent circuit
Thanks to the good management of the organising club RUMESM and the income generated by one of its flagship events, the Superbiker, Michel Fievet, president of the club for 35 years, was able to acquire land little by little with the idea of building a permanent circuit. En 2010, le rêve rejoint la réalité avec l’inauguration du circuit permanent actuel. Une prouesse reconnue dans le milieu des sports moteurs qui se traduit par une affluence massive et un taux de réservation de plus de 90% des journées disponibles.
In 1935, the circuit commission grants Mettet the organisation of international races. A magnificent epic followed, giving Mettet its letters of nobility year after year.
The year 1934 saw the widening of the descent towards Florennes where speeds of around 170 km/h were reached.
The diabolo is created. It is 8,500m long and the St Donat crossroads is still only a small junction with sharp angles. In 1933, the clockwise direction of travel was adopted.
the circuit is growing
In 1932, following the requirements of the FMB, the circuit, which had become too small, was lengthened and took the road to Florennes and back to Mettet.
Until 1931, the small 2,800m loop was used and the average speeds achieved at the time were those of an aeroplane, i.e. 90km/h.
First speed race
It is difficult to give a precise date for the appearance of the Mettet circuit. At the beginning of the 1920s, it is certain that a few rare "motorcyclists" were already trying their hand with enthusiasm on the roads and tracks of the time. On 11 September 1927, a pure speed race was organised for the first time on the heights of Mettet in Pontaury.